Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Week without Sunday in Kuchxng - Day 4 Part A


Early bird catches the worm. As Anuar promised to set off at 8.30 am, we were already all set by 8.15 pm. But the worm was caught in traffic jam. He arrived 1/2 hour later in his diamond-blue Naza.

The worm was not alone. Along with him was a big fat juicy delicious worm. It's William, the WORM!
Woohoo~! With him around I knew my hands would not stay quiet.

I mean busy snapping him with my camera.

Anuar bought a few buns (60 cents ONLY) to fill morning hunger. We traveled to the outskirt of area of the Kuching division. First destination was the Semengok Wildlife Rehab Centre, home to the orang utans. Anuar said we were lucky to see orang utans on that day because sometimes they would rather stay in the wild and not come out even during feeding hour. A lot of tourists taking pictures and watching them doing their stunt with their young. These apes knew they have to do their thing as bananas do not come free.

Next, we visited the Bunuk village. Yes, that's where the Bidayuh longhouse is situated. The road entering the longhouse is so narrow, even it is difficult for motorcycles to pass through. The longhouse, finally, appeared before our eyes. The houses are mostly made by bamboos and woods. What's special with Bidayuh longhouse is it is unlike Iban's. Houses are not only built in a stretch but also opposite to one another. Besides, A walkway can diverge into two or more, causing the longhouse to look less rigid.

Walking down to the riverside, we saw a granny who were about to leave after bath. She didn't like us taking picture. But I did took one, accidentally, before she voiced out her dissatisfaction. Of course I won't delete it (People don't call me Elween for nothing). Then there is another granny who was still washing clothes by the river. We went forth. Anuar started a conversation with her. Later I tried talking to her, and found out that the whole village 90% and above are Christians. She shared with me her faith in Christ who have healed her pain on her foot and was praising God for His healing power.

We got down into the river to wet our feet, and we found out that even with foams of soaps and shampoos in the river, there are still fishes around! They must be some mutated creatures.

After saying goodbye to her, we left the longhouse, finding that most of the houses are quite modernized. For bamboo sake, they even have plasma TV and Astro! I don't even have it. Better for me to return back to the jungle and sing o-yi-o.

And their stairs made me wonder how small the feet of Bidayuh people really are, especially stairs in their house. It's so impossible for normal-sized feet to walk up that kind of tiny tooth-saw steps!

Semadang hanging bridge was the next destination. Nothing much, just a hanging bridge. And a river. We went down to the river side. Unfortunately the water current was quite strong after a night of rain so didn't have a chance for a dip.

Coming up from the river, we took a rest in a shelter, set up in front of the hanging bridge. Anuar shared with his adventurous stories, how he survived when the storm wrecked his boat, and sleeping in the jungle alone around wild beasts. Whether true or not, don't hold me responsible. I am just a reporter. He also shared his hunting experience with the indigenous people (Penans, if I am not mistaken).

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment